Windows Defender Antivirus cloud delivered protection
Cloud-delivered protection for Windows Defender Antivirus, also referred to as Microsoft Advanced Protection Service (MAPS), provides you with strong, fast protection in addition to our standard real-time protection.
Scenario requirements and setup
- Windows 7, Windows 8.1 & Windows 10
- Cloud-delivered protection is enabled by default, however you may need to re-enable it if it has been disabled as part of previous organizational policies. See the Enable cloud-delivered protection in Windows Defender AV topic for more information.
- You can also download and use the PowerShell script to enable this setting and others on Windows 10.
- Here to download the test file https://aka.ms/ioavtest
Important: The test file is not malicious, it is just a harmless file simulating a virus
- If successful you should see that “Windows Defender Antivirus” found a virus and deleted it
- If the file executes, or if you see it blocked by Windows Defender SmartScreen it means that cloud-delivered protection is not working and you should go to configure and validate network connections for Windows Defender Antivirus to learn more
Failed to block (but stopped by Windows Defender SmartScreen)
Origenal post here https://demo.wd.microsoft.com/Page/CloudBlock